Q: I got pulled over for following to closely. I was arrested because I failed the field sobriety test because of having Multiple sclerosis. I just had a pipe in my car. I had a public defender that helped me as much as a goat could. The judge suspended my license for a year along with $1560 in fines. Can I hire a lawyer to help me with this?
Michael HaberLearn more. ” href=”http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-got-pulled-over-for-following-to-closely–i-was–1927121.html?answered=true#!” rel=”nofollow” style=”-webkit-transition: all 0.3s ease; color: #006699; text-decoration: none; transition: all 0.3s ease;”>PRO
It appears that the “guilt” phase of your case is closed.
You either pled (admitted the violation) or were found guilty, so all that’s left is a possible, appeal, but, in order to successfully appeal you must have a legal or procedural basis for doing so.
I am not an OH lawyer (and therefore cannot comment on matters of OH law or procedure), but had you asked this question in FL (where I have been a practicing criminal defense lawyer for 23+ years) then I would say that, apart from the requisite legal / procedural basis there are strict time limits associated with appeals.
in FL, if there is legal cause to do so then you can file a motion to withdraw your plea under Rule 3.170. This motion must be filed within 30 days of your sentence. However, if you are beyond that 30 day time frame for filing under Rule 3.170, and, again, if there is legal cause to do so, then you can file a motion to vacate the judgment and sentence under Rule 3.850. In this case you have 2 years from the day that the sentence became “final” in which to file.
Florida Rule of Criminal Procedure 3.800 allows a defendant to file a motion to reduce or modify their sentence, but this motion has to be filed within 60 days from the date of sentencing. If a judge denies the motion you typically cannot appeal the decision.
That said, again I am not an OH lawyer and you are best advised to find a Van Wert, OH area criminal defense lawyer, engage in a meaningful consultation and get yourself some advise which is legally sound and has been custom tailored to meet your needs in your case.
I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question.
Michael A. Haber
- SD Man Strangles and Cuts Off his Pregnant Girlfriend’s Nipples with Scissors during Horrific Domestic Violence Incident ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- A US Citizen is Arrested 2,000 yards inside of the US for Using a Drone to Smuggle 13.5 lbs of Meth across the Mexico Border~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- FL Mother & Daughter Duo are Arrested in Police Sting Op for Operating an Erotic Massage Parlor out of the Carport of their Sarasota Home ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- Woman Posts a Real Time Video of Sexual Assault to Snapchat leading Cops to Locate and Arrest her Rapist ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- Mother Arrested for Child Abuse after Slapping, Beating with a Belt and Tasering her 5 y/o Son who’s School Performance was not up to Par ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1