Q: I stopped at a red light and couple second later got pull over because a sheriff checked my tag which showed that my license had expired 6 months ago. Now I have to go to court. Do I have any rights to fight the sheriff’s?
For questions involving state laws, lawyers who are licensed in the same state as the asker are often able to provide more relevant answers than out-of-state lawyers.
For questions involving federal laws (e.g., immigration or patents), this distinction is unimportant.
” href=”http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/traffic-2001397.html#!” rel=”nofollow” style=”-webkit-transition: all 0.3s ease; border-bottom-color: rgb(118, 123, 124); border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-top-color: rgb(118, 123, 124); border-top-style: dotted; border-top-width: 1px; color: #767b7c; display: inline-block; font-size: 11px; line-height: 1.2em; text-decoration: none; transition: all 0.3s ease;”>Licensed in FL
If you are inquiring about a civil lawsuit then the answer is no. The sheriff has every right – and an obligation in fact – to run license plates and to cite those who are driving with expired ones.
If you are asking about whether or not you can plead not guilty and fight / contest the citation then the answer is yes. In fact in my opinion, the best defense for any traffic citation anywhere is to hire a local traffic ticket lawyer. I can’t speak to the Plant City area per se, but in Miami, Fl, where I have been a practicing criminal defense lawyer for 23+ years, there are many skilled and experienced traffic lawyers who know the law, the procedure, the Judge and probably the cop. In short you will almost certainly get both competent representation and a better result for a relatively small fee / investment.
If you are asking something else then please repost a more clear statement.
In any event I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question.
Michael A. Haber
- SD Man Strangles and Cuts Off his Pregnant Girlfriend’s Nipples with Scissors during Horrific Domestic Violence Incident ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- A US Citizen is Arrested 2,000 yards inside of the US for Using a Drone to Smuggle 13.5 lbs of Meth across the Mexico Border~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- FL Mother & Daughter Duo are Arrested in Police Sting Op for Operating an Erotic Massage Parlor out of the Carport of their Sarasota Home ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- Woman Posts a Real Time Video of Sexual Assault to Snapchat leading Cops to Locate and Arrest her Rapist ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1
- Mother Arrested for Child Abuse after Slapping, Beating with a Belt and Tasering her 5 y/o Son who’s School Performance was not up to Par ~ Call Michael A. Haber, Esq. @ 1-888-SHARK-8-1