Thank you for asking me “What is a Sting Operation”.
“Sting Op” is a law enforcement term that cops use when they embrace any of a variety of deceptive tactics to catch people who are predisposed to committing crimes. Sometimes the cops do it themselves “undercover” and other times they employ CI’s (confidential informants) or CS’s (cooperating sources).
There are many sorts of sting ops. Some examples are:
– Posing as someone who is seeking illegal drugs, contraband or child pornography to catch a supplier; or posing as a supplier to catch a customer (where the cops are the suppliers it is called a “reverse sting”)
– Posing as a potential customer of illegal prostitution; or posing as a prostitute to catch a customer (again a “reverse sting”)
– Posing as a child in a chat room to identify a potential child molester
– Posing as a hitman to catch customers and solicitors of murder-for-hire
– Passing off explosives, fake or real, to a would-be terror bomber
– Deploying a bait car (or a “honey trap”) to catch car thieves
– Arranging someone under the legal drinking age to ask an adult to buy an alcoholic beverage or tobacco products for them
Most folks caught in a sting think they were entrapped but very few actually were. The fact is that cops are permitted to use methods of persuasion, trickery or subterfuge in an effort to get you to commit a crime. The question that determines whether or not you were entrapped is: Would you have done what you did if a civilian had been involved instead of the cops?
At Michael A. Haber, PA “it’s all about reasonable doubt”!
Please note that no attorney-client relationship with either Michael A. Haber, PA or Michael A. Haber, Esq. exists as a result of your watching this Webisode series. Further any and all information which is both contained in and may be construed from this Webisode series is generic in nature and should only be considered as informational and not as actual legal advise in any specific case. Should you wish to seek actual legal advise then please feel free to contact Michael A. Haber, Esq. as follows:
Office Phone: 305-381-8686
Toll Free Phone: 1-888-SHARK-8-1
Cellular Phone / Text: 305-798-2220
E-Mail: [email protected] / [email protected]
Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney Miami Criminal Lawyer Attorney